Sunday, November 27, 2011

Grammar review through podcasting

While searching through the mountain of podcasts that itunes has to offer I stumbled across a Spanish Grammar Review podcast. It includes review for major grammar topics for the intermediate to advanced learner. Examples of topics that were discussed are: Subjunctive review, Using the subjunctive modd with adverbial phrases, ser vs. estar, por vs. para, expressions with time and dar, etc. This podcast would prove very useful for my Spanish IV and V students as a reinforcement for grammar. The one specific podcast episode I listened to was When to use Ser or Estar. It was very informational and the best part was that the speaker spoke almost entirely in Spanish! I could see myself using these podcasts (especially ser vs. estar) in the near future as a grammar reinforcement tool before the students started their midterm project. As I am trying to prepare the students for college through Spanish IV and  V, I feel that it is important for them to experience as much Spanish in the classroom as possible. However, when I teach grammar I do speak in English. But, I feel that if the students are reviewing a topic it would be useful for them to hear the presentation in Spanish. I could provide them with a note sheet that doubles as a test of comprehension as well! This activity would provide great review with a little insight as to how a college level Spanish classroom is (for those of my students that want to continue with Spanish)!

3 comments:

sridhar said...

You have an interesting blog. We both share same interest. I love to learn English through Acronyms. recently I coined S MA CAPS (Pronounced See My Caps), an acronym/a Mnemonic to recall types of count nouns. So, Teach your kids the basics of count nouns through this simple acronym. It stands for Society, Measurement, Animals, Containers, Abstract, Person, Shape. It might help you too. link goo.gl/lFWv6

sridhar said...

You have an interesting blog. We both share same interest. I love to learn English through Acronyms. recently I coined S MA CAPS (Pronounced See My Caps), an acronym/a Mnemonic to recall types of count nouns. So, Teach your kids the basics of count nouns through this simple acronym. It stands for Society, Measurement, Animals, Containers, Abstract, Person, Shape. It might help you too. link goo.gl/lFWv6

Maryanne said...

Your idea of using some of these grammar review podcasts sounds like a good one. Listening to the explanations in Spanish may also expose the students to new, relevant vocabulary.